Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, May 22, 2009

Capital Tales


Sacre bleu! I let a whole week go by without comment here. Has Twitter killed my blog?

Yesterday I threw together some 'World Capital Tales' over at my @reidontravel account. I wanted to take a stab at doing more self-contained travel 'stories' within 140 characters -- no links, no RTs.

I'm fond with artificial distinctions in travel -- like fictional destinations (Delacticut -- the combination of Delaware and Connecticut), arbitrary statistics (eg 'a guidebook to BEAR ATTACKS of the Western Hemisphere from 2002 to 2004'), faulty flag designs, and admin buildings.

A few years ago I tried to collect illustrations of state capitols by asking a staff member if they'd sketch it. In Carson City, Nevada -- my first (of three stops -- before losing interest) -- I asked two security guards if they'd oblige. The elder one, uniform top fiercely tucked into his taut wool pants, sternly refused. S0 I turned to his flunky, a 26-year-old guard-in-training. 'Could you do it?' He paused. 'I'll take a stab, sure.' He went to get a ruler, and a brochure that showed a photo of the unremarkable building as a guide, then let the capitol go 50% less secure for a full 15 minutes while he drew it up. It's boxed up somewhere. Hope I didn't lose it.

I know this is lame, but here's what I had to say about WORLD CAPITALS yesterday:
  • In Moscow in '92, I spent $20 to parachute from a WWII Russian plane. Slept in barracks, vodka, 2-minute 'lesson.'
  • Friend of friend is ex-Bulgarian PM. In Sofia, called to say 'hi' and invited me for coffee at Dunkin' Donuts.
  • Few locals in Hanoi, which turns 1000 next yr, ever see its magic turtle. In 2007, I did: http://tinyurl.com/r6e3w6
  • Best 8-hour trip of my life? Tokyo 10pm-6am layover. Met pals, saw sites after hours, drank, passed out at Denny's.
  • I've been fined once in Europe: for getting on Paris' RER w/the wrong ticket. That my initials are RER didn't help.
  • I saw a man kiss a pigeon, rather obscenely, in Ottawa once. I've not been back.

Ditulis Oleh : admin // 8:42 AM
Kategori:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bloggers - Meet Millions of Bloggers