Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, May 11, 2009

Observations of Tourism Event in Brooklyn

The Brooklyn Visitor Bureau, housed in Borough Hall in the borough's downtown, turned five recently, and is having various travel-related businesses, tour agents and 'press' members out for a little sandwich-and-cheese cake party. It's still going, but I ducked out after a couple hours.

I showed up on time, and was one of four people to do so. No one greeted us. We guessed to sign in, as staff set up sandwiches and sparkling water and Brooklyn Ale bottles at curtained tables of the marble-floored rotunda. A few cameras were set up, pointing to a display of press clippings and a TV showing Brooklyn-related movie cameos on a loop.

After 10 minutes or so of milling about awkwardly, I saw the tiny Marty Markowitz, the borough president -- who recently declared Brooklyn a 'republic' -- speed out of his office to pose in front of a US flag with three firemen in fancy uniforms. Then watched him shuffle back into his office.

I went downstairs to kill some time and browsed thru the brochures, picking up a few to be polite. Then returned for a sandwich as a hundred, perhaps, Brooklyn reps -- usually in their 20s, filling in for busy bosses -- filed in.

Eventually Marty spoke about his republic, and why tourism brings in the bucks. 'I challenge any beach in the world to be as beautiful as Coney Island's.' Afterwards, he had a short interview with a Korean TV channel, and rushed off to his office again.

Meanwhile, the 'press' tables sat empty. A visitors center rep called out three times for 'press' to sit and 'hear pitches' from Brooklyn businesses. On the opposite side of the room, I joked 'naughty press, huh?' to a fellow second-sandwich taker, who had no idea what I was talking about. But finally a few press reps did sit. And four lines quickly formed, ten deep each.

I stood by the four side-by-sidelines, making my own press stand, and breaking into conversations with reps holding the most interesting brochures: eg a new B&B in Bedford-Stuyvesant. The woman running it bought the townhouse on Hanover St 23 years ago and opened as a guesthouse last year. 'YOU stay in touch.' I agreed. Shortly after another announcement, this time asking everyone to speed up the pitches -- 'this is a speed date, just chat a bit, kiss if you want' -- a guy running a pizza tour told me, 'I have no idea what press is up there, but I'm waiting anyway.'

And I left.

Ditulis Oleh : admin // 11:18 AM
Kategori:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bloggers - Meet Millions of Bloggers