Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, January 15, 2010

Tagus Riverside and Monument to the Discoveries, Lisbon, Portugal

Hi! As some of you may have noticed I've been publishing less travel stories lately - sorry :) - I'll be having a bit more free time now so I'll try to get back to my old pace. At request of a few "on-line friends" it's time to take vacationsandtravelphotos to Lisbon, my hometown and capital of my beloved Portugal.
Tagus Riverside, Lisbon, PortugalA good place to start a Lisbon tour is with a walk along the shore of the river Tagus. Normally the temperatures in Lisbon are rather warm and there are many sunny days during all year so, chances are that you'll get to see a view like the one above. And no, I'm not tricking you with a not San Francisco photo, it's really Lisbon - we have a pocket version of the Golden Gate you know ;)
Monument to the Discoveries, Lisbon, PortugalAlong the riverside of Tagus are several Monuments to the Portuguese Discoveries. One of the most famous is an enormous statue of a Caravel (detail in wikipedia) with 33 personalities along it's deck. Among others you'll find there Infante D. Henrique (the main sponsor of the Discoveries), Vasco da Gama (the discoverer of the sea route to India) and Pedro Álvares Cabral (navigated successfully to Brazil).
A Margem, Lisbon, PortugalBeside the fabulous view you'll also find near the river several nice places to stop for a bite to eat. If I have to pick one, I would recommend the one called À Margem (near Belém) - and no, I'm not charging them for this free publicity - I simply love the toasts they serve there!

Ditulis Oleh : admin // 4:35 PM
Kategori:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bloggers - Meet Millions of Bloggers