Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, July 12, 2010

Ottawa - Canada’s Exciting Capital City - Ontario, Canada

Once again with a big thank you to Steven, who had already sent us the post about the fabulous Ice Hotel, and another to Roy Tennant from Free Large Photos, let's remain in Canada for a bit longer and meet it's lovely capital: Ottawa.

Although it might not be a vacation destination that most people consider when they make their plans, Ottawa is a magical city. The more time you spend in Ottawa, the more you will discover. Whether you love history, sightseeing, or outdoor activities, Ottawa has something for you. I had an amazing time in Ottawa. I could not believe how many museums there were. Some people have nicknamed the city ‘Canada’s Museum Capital’. There are more than 13 museums within the city limits. I enjoyed visiting a few of them, as well as the many government attractions, got to hit a few balls at an Ottawa golf course, and I even got a chance to chat with a genuine member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. I never thought I would get to talk to a real life Mountie. I also spend a relaxing afternoon in the Art Gallery. I certainly never felt bored. In fact, there were a couple of museums that I wanted to visit but I did not get a chance. I guess I will just have to go back to Ottawa someday. If you are considering a trip to Ottawa, here are a few attractions you cannot miss.
Canada Parliament, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
The Statues of Parliament Hill - If you love history, you cannot miss the statues on Parliament Hill. Over one dozen historical statues are located on the hill. You can learn a lot about Canadian history just by reading about the statues. Make sure you visit the Baldwin-LaFontaine Statue on Parliament Hill. Baldwin and LaFontaine reunited Upper and Lower Canada in the year 1841. The Baldwin-LaFontaine Statue looks like a stage. Because of the unique acoustic properties of this amphitheater, two individuals sitting on opposite ends of the amphitheater can whisper back and forth and hear each other perfectly. Try it if you go, it is a lot of fun.
Canada Parliament, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
The Cat Sanctuary Located on Parliament Hill - To the left of the Parliament building, there is a cat sanctuary. Volunteers have been taking care of around 26 stray cats at the sanctuary for over 18 years. When you visit the cat sanctuary, you might not see many cats. This is because the cats are free to come and go as they please. The cats are spayed and neutered. They also receive all necessary vaccinations so they stay healthy.

Royal Canadian Mounted Police Musical Ride Training Facility - After I met a Mountie on the streets of Ottawa, I wanted to learn more about them. So, I visited the RCMP Musical Ride Training Ground. I was able to tour the stables, visit the farrier, and even feed an eager horse through a fence. I love horses, so this was a must-see attraction for me.
Changing of the Guard, Parliament Hill, Ontario, Canada
Gatineau Park - If you want to get outside, make sure you visit Gatineau Park. Gatineau Park is located right on the edge of the Laurentian Plateau, which is also known as the Canadian Shield. Mountain bikers love to ride this park’s scenic trails. The park was gorgeous in the summer, but I would love to visit it again in the fall. Some of the locals I spoke to told me that the foliage in the autumn months was wonderful. I even saw some hang gliders out seeing the sights from above. Maybe someday I will do that, but I will need to get a lot braver. We left through Chelsea and stopped by La Cigale. They had the best ice cream and waffle cones that I had ever had.
Rideau Canal, Way to Gatineau, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Bicycling - One of the best ways to see Ottawa is on a bicycle. Ottawa residents love to ride their bikes. Many Ottawans commute to work on their bikes, even during the winter. Although you might not want to bike through the snow, if you visit Ottawa during the spring, summer, or fall, you might want to take a spin on the many bike paths that wind their way throughout the National Capital area.

Gatineau Hot Air Balloon Festival - I visited Ottawa over Labor Day Weekend. I was lucky enough to arrive just in time to visit the Gatineau Hot Air Balloon Festival. I loved seeing all of the beautiful balloons floating over the scenic countryside. Sitting quietly and watching the balloons in the sky was a relaxing way to end a day that I had spent bicycling and sightseeing. Visit Ottawa, and I bet you find it as fun and relaxing as I did.


I'm sure I'll find Ottawa fun and relaxing Steven! I just hope I can put it to the test anytime soon :)

Ditulis Oleh : admin // 3:24 PM
Kategori:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bloggers - Meet Millions of Bloggers