Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Author Interview - Lauren Bjorkman - My Invented Life

AUTHOR INTERVIEW
LAUREN BJORKMAN
MY INVENTED LIFE

Lauren Bjorman braved the ice and snow today to answer a few questions about My Invented Life and about her own exciting life. Here we go…

This is one of the first LGBT books I have read. Even though I am only eleven, I think that reading books about all types of lifestyles is a good thing. What do you think about tweens reading LGBT books? Would you ever consider writing a middle grade LGBT book?

Tweens should absolutely read books with LGBT characters. Not everyone has figured out their sexuality by eleven, so reading about how others feel can only help. I have talked to many sixth grade girls that read My Invented Life. None were shocked by the content. It is not particularly edgy. And I would love to write a middle grade LGBT story, something funny like Totally Joe by James Howe.

The story for My Invented Life takes place as the girls rehearse for As You Like It, by Shakespeare. How did you work some of Shakespeare’s story elements into your book?

I particularly enjoy Shakespeare’s sense of humor, playfulness, and quick pacing, and used these elements in my story. My favorite scenes in As You Like It happen when Rosalind assumes the identity of a young man. This frees her from social convention, and allows her to speak openly with her love interest. In my novel, Roz assumes a new identity that shakes up her life in a similar way. Although my Roz lacks the self assurance of Shakespeare’s Rosalind, she does recognize past mistakes, and works hard to overcome them.

What will main character Roz be doing in ten years?

She will be pursuing her dream, performing live theater, though I hope she finds a well paying flexible job on the side. She will visit Eva often.

I hear that you grew up on a boat with your parents and your older sister. Wow, you must have a zillion stories to tell about that. What was the best (and worst) place you visited by boat?

I adored the Azores Islands—the black sand beaches, the cobble stone streets, the women selling plums along the mosaic sidewalks. It felt more than foreign. Like we were visiting a past century.

Worst? Hmmm. That is harder. I guess Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. We arrived there after being at sea for 33 days. I was ten at the time. During the crossing, we had a family fight, and didn’t celebrate Christmas. At first, my dad wouldn’t let us go ashore with him. He thought it was too dangerous. We waited on the boat for two days until he changed his mind. :-(

I also have a very unusual last name – let’s just say it has all the vowels. Do you ever have fun with other people when it comes to pronouncing or spelling your name?

The “j” in Bjorkman is pronounced like a “y.” But sometimes I mess with people, and tell them the B is silent. Jorkman. How do you have fun with people and your name? *grabs a pencil to take notes*

Do you have any other books or projects you are working on that you would like to mention?

My second YA, Miss Fortune Cookie, should come out next year. It's about a high school girl living in SF Chinatown with a secret advice blog that goes awry. Also, I am working on a funny dystopian, my answer to the Hunger Games. I loved the series, but it depressed me, too. I like to err on the side of optimism.

Thank you for sharing with me today Lauren. Oh, and I throw people off when I point out that my last name has all the vowels. They usually mentally go through the alphabet to realize that it does, in fact, have all the vowels. Thank you to The Teen (Book) Scene for hooking us up.

Ditulis Oleh : admin // 5:05 AM
Kategori:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bloggers - Meet Millions of Bloggers