Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Ghost and the Goth - Review

Title ~ The Ghost and the Goth
Series ~ The Ghost and the Goth #1
Author ~ Stacey Kade
Release Date ~ June 29, 2010
Age Group ~ Young Adult
Publisher ~ Hyperion
Source ~ a Real Bookstore








GOODREADS SUMMARY

Alona Dare–Senior in high school, co-captain of the cheerleading squad, Homecoming Queen three years in a row, voted most likely to marry a movie star… and newly dead.

I’m the girl you hated in high school. Is it my fault I was born with it all-good looks, silky blond hair, a hot bod, and a keen sense of what everyone else should not be wearing? But my life isn’t perfect, especially since I died. Run over by a bus of band geeks—is there anything more humiliating? As it turns out, yes—watching your boyfriend and friends move on with life, only days after your funeral. And you wouldn’t believe what they’re saying about me now that they think I can’t hear them. To top it off, I’m starting to disappear, flickering in and out of existence. I don’t know where I go when I’m gone, but it’s not good. Where is that freaking white light already?

Will Killian–Senior in high school, outcast, dubbed “Will Kill” by the popular crowd for the unearthly aura around him, voted most likely to rob a bank…and a ghost-talker.

I can see, hear, and touch the dead. Unfortunately, they can also see, hear and touch me. Yeah, because surviving high school isn’t hard enough already. I’ve done my best to hide my “gift.” After all, my dad, who shared my ability, killed himself because of it when I was fifteen. But lately, pretending to be normal has gotten a lot harder. A new ghost—an anonymous, seething cloud of negative energy with the capacity to throw me around—is pursuing me with a vengeance. My mom, who knows nothing about what I can do, is worrying about the increase in odd incidents, my shrink is tossing around terms like “temporary confinement for psychiatric evaluation,” and my principal, who thinks I’m a disruption and a faker, is searching for every way possible to get rid of me. How many weeks until graduation?

REVIEW

The Ghost and the Goth is everything that a typical ghost book is not. It is a fun, light, humorous, book with a hint of romance. Really, it is!

Alona was Miss Popular in high school. You know the type – she intimidated others into being her “friends” and she always made herself look superior. Alona thought she was all that. Totally the type of girl you love to hate. Then she was run over by a school bus, she became a ghost, and everything changed.

As a ghost, Alona returned to her high school only to find that her “friends” never really cared for her in the first place. I loved that Alona became vulnerable as a ghost and we got to see her true colors. She made a much better ghost than a Miss Popular.

Will was the outcast in high school. He was the creepy guy who everyone thought was crazy. Will was not boyfriend material. He was, however, able to communicate with ghosts. Lots and lots of ghosts. So many ghosts that they nearly DO make Will go crazy.

You would NEVER expect Miss Popular to hang out with the school outcast, but that’s exactly what needs to happen. Alona needs Will to help her cross over and Will needs Alona to help him manage the other ghosts.

I love the way the story is written. Stacey Kade presents both Alona and Will’s points of view in alternating chapters. The interesting thing is that each chapter picks up where the last chapter left off. It is very original.

I had a great time reading The Ghost and the Goth and I am looking forward to Queen of the Dead, which releases in June.

RATING

5 Loved

COVER COMMENTS

Translucence never looked so good! This is one of my favorite covers ever. Everything about it – the colors, Alona and Will, the font, the translucence. This all equals one very awesome cover.

Ditulis Oleh : admin // 5:05 AM
Kategori:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bloggers - Meet Millions of Bloggers