Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Fairytale Retellings - Guest Post by Emily From Emily's Reading Room

FAIRYTALE RETELLINGS
GUEST POST
EMILY FROM EMILY’S READING ROOM

Everyone knows that I LOVE fairy tale retellings.  I just can’t get enough of them!  I love seeing how different authors change up the story just enough to keep up the suspense while still staying true to the fairy tale.  My number one blogging friend when it comes to fairy tales is Emily from Emily’s Reading Room.  She is going to share some fairy tale love with us today.

Some of my favorite books are fairytale retellings.  There is something really magical about reading a story that you know and love retold in a fresh, new way.  I'm always seeking out the best of these stories, and I want to share eight of my favorites with you today.


I know that Melina loves this one as well. The Goose Girl is a great retelling that includes everything I love about fairy tales. A princess that kicks butt and her trusty horse, a handsome prince, and a fabulous group of friends. If you haven't read this one yet, the e-book is on sale right now for $1.99, so you should definitely check it out.

Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier


Wildwood Dancing takes several fairy tales and mixes them with a little bit of paranormal elements to create an awesome story that I couldn't put down.  Jena is a great character that I know you will all root for. Oh, and I think that there is a frog named Gogu that you'll love as well...

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine


This book came out when I was in Jr. High, and I loved it back then, and I still love it today.  It's a retelling of Cinderella, but it's not all about a ball and a prince. There is adventure, ogres, and fairy godmothers that are less than helpful.

Beastly by Alex Flinn

Alex Flinn does some fantastic contemporary fairy tale retellings, but Beastly is definitely my favorite.  This book was so funny, I laughed out loud through a lot of the book. Kyle's inner thoughts are a hoot, and Lindy is a great "Beauty."  I know that not everyone loved this one, but I found it to be really fun and worth picking up.

Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George

Jessica Day George has said in the past that of the books that she's written, this one is her favorite.  I really loved this retelling of East of the Sun, West of the Moon. It's told in third person, and the main character doesn't actually have a name. But, it's a timeless story about a girl and a bear, falling in love, losing love, and doing whatever you have to do to find it again. Read this one with a cup of hot chocolate though, because all the ice makes me cold.

Thanks to Melina for hosting me today. I hope you all will share some of your favorite fairy tale retellings!

Ditulis Oleh : admin // 5:05 AM
Kategori:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bloggers - Meet Millions of Bloggers