Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Nerd Girls: The Rise of the Dorkasaurus - Book Review

Title ~ Nerd Girls: The Rise of the Dorkasaurus
Series ~ Single Title
Author ~ Alan Lawrence Sitomer
Release Date ~ July 5, 2011
Age Group ~ Middle Grade
Publisher ~ Hyperion
Source ~ Fiction State of Mind







GOODREADS SUMMARY

Maureen, a thirteen-year-old self-proclaimed dork-a-saurus, is totally addicted to cupcakes and hot dogs and thinks that her body looks like a baked potato. Allergy-plagued Alice can’t touch a mango without breaking out in a rash, and if she eats wheat, her vision goes blurry. Klutzy to the extreme, Barbara is a beanpole who often embarrasses herself in front of the whole school. These outcasts don't have much in common—other than the fact that they are often targets of the ThreePees: the Pretty, Popular, Perfect girls who rule the school.

But one day Maureen discovers that the ThreePees are planning to sit next to Allergy Alice in the cafeteria and eat peanut-butter-and-banana sandwiches on whole wheat toast with mango marmalade for lunch. And Maureen decides that it's time to topple the eight-grade social regime. She joins forces with Alice and Barbara and the Nerd Girls enter the school talent show, determined to take the crown from the ThreePees. Will their routine be enough to de-throne the popular crowd? Or will their plan backfire and shake their hold on the bottom rung of the social ladder?

REVIEW

I am a nerd. I spend my nights reading, sing in the shower, get straight A’s at school, and have horrible eyesight. That fact made me like the idea of Nerd Girls, the story of nerdy girls taking down the popular crowd. How cool. Or so I thought.

Maureen is a girl with self-esteem issues. She feels bad about her weight, comparing herself to a baked potato. Even though Maureen is ashamed about her weight, she does practically nothing to get in shape. I didn’t care for her overly negative attitude. To be honest, I think I only heard two compliments come from Maureen the entire book. This is not my idea of Nerd Girl power. I am proud to be a nerd and I embrace it.

At first, I liked the idea of the Nerd Girls trying to beat the ThreePees in the talent show. Instead, the plot went like this. Nerd Girls annoy ThreePees then ThreePees retaliate and it starts all over again. It just wasn’t what I was expecting.

I did enjoy Alice and Barbara. Alice is so innocent and nice even when Maureen is being mean. She reminds me of my brother Travis, since both have food allergies. Barbara is so klutzy that she can barely walk across a flat surface. She is constantly falling down, but with a smile on her face all the way. They brought niceness and humor to the story where Maureen failed.

RATING

3 So-So

COVER COMMENTS

Such a cute cover. Those are some awfully nerdy feet behind a talent show curtain.

Ditulis Oleh : admin // 7:30 AM
Kategori:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bloggers - Meet Millions of Bloggers