Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Detention Club - Book Review

Title ~ The Detention Club
Series ~ Single Title
Author ~ David Yoo
Release Date ~ July 1, 2011
Age Group ~ Middle Grade
Publisher ~ Balzer and Bray
Source ~ The Teen {Book} Scene









GOODREADS SUMMARY

Sixth-grader Peter Lee, in a desperate attempt to regain the popularity he had in elementary school, discovers that serving detention can win him important friends, much to the dismay of his over-achieving eighth-grade sister, Sunny.

REVIEW

I was excited to read The Detention Club because it is set in a middle school. I just knew that I could relate to the setting and the characters.

The setting was a winner for me. I think the middle school accurately portrayed real life middle school and the dynamics of the various groups. David Yoo captured what I see in middle school day-to-day.

I have never been to detention, but I imagine the teachers are pretty strict about what goes on there. For that reason, I would think the lack of discipline in Peter’s detention was disappointingly unrealistic. I really think Peter and his buddies got off way too easy. Maybe it’s my goody-goody nature, but this bothered me.

I was not a big fan of Peter. He was self-centered and rude to those close to him. I get that he wanted to be popular, but I wish he had gone about it in a nicer way and become overall nicer in the end. Since Peter was a master at thinking outside of the box, he had so much potential to do some good. Perhaps middle grade boys can relate better to Peter and his antics.

RATING

3 So-So

COVER COMMENTS

I like seeing all the characters in their school setting. They look very middle schoolish! I really like the unicorn too!

Ditulis Oleh : admin // 9:59 AM
Kategori:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bloggers - Meet Millions of Bloggers