Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Shatter Me - Book Review

Title ~ Shatter Me
Series ~ Shatter Me #1
Author ~ Tahereh Mafi
Release Date ~ November 15, 2011
Age Group ~ Young Adult
Publisher ~ HarperTeen
Source ~ HarperTeen









GOODREADS SUMMARY

Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days. The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

REVIEW

Shatter Me is a truly breathtaking debut with the most beautiful writing that has ever graced a page.  Every single word is perfectly placed to flow into a stunning story that left me utterly amazed.  I was drawn into descriptions that exceeded what I thought was even possible and I finally exhaled when I read the last page.  I wanted more. I needed more.

Tahereh Mafi proves true the contradiction that dystopian novels can be beautiful. Even in a world that is falling apart, beauty can be found. It may be in a character’s thoughts, a knowing glance, or a simple touch. It is there. Tahereh Mafi not only finds it, but she masterfully brings those beautiful nuances into a crumbling world. 

Those sparks of beauty are found amidst a world in ruin. Descriptions of a society caught in a desperate struggle come alive. The Reestablishment made my skin crawl. They are stern, cold, and just purely wicked. Their leader, Warren, is obsessed and awful. The setting is thick with suffering, death, and despair. But again, beauty can be found in the object of Warren’s obsession, a warrior named Juliette.

This story is told through Juliette’s eyes in the most wonderful way. When Juliette was seeing and describing the atrocities she saw, I was there too. There is so much emotion caught up in Tahereh Mafi’s words that I may as well have been Juliette.  When Juliette felt scared, so did I.  When she felt confused, I did too.  If someone had walked in the room and said "Hey Juliette!" I would have answered.  An interesting technique of crossing out some words to show what Juliette maybe had second thoughts about made it that much more real.

Did I mention that Juliette’s mind is shot? Clearly, being locked up for so many days and knowing that she can kill people with her touch has put Juliette on edge.  And I don't mean just a little on edge, I mean she is ON EDGE. Juliette freely moves between acting normal, joking around, being violent, and getting her CRAZY ON! I love that her erratic mood swings and behaviors are exposed and become a part of the story. Juliette’s emotions are especially strong when it comes to her romantic interest, Adam.

The romance between Juliette and Adam is intense, but also innocent. They are almost like one in the way they think and they are intoxicating together. Their romance is pure and authentic. There is something inspiring about a love story flourishing in a dystopian setting that makes my heart all filled with happiness.  Juliette and Adam ARE hope.

Shatter Me is one of my favorite books EVER.  Not just for the story, but for the awe-inspired writing.   Tahereh Mafi has written a brilliant story that uncovers beauty where you would never expect to find it.  

RATING

5 Loved

COVER COMMENTS

Juliette is FIERCE! I love this cover and how it really does look like it is shattered. Her white dress shows the hidden beautiful I was talking about.

Ditulis Oleh : admin // 4:30 AM
Kategori:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bloggers - Meet Millions of Bloggers