Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Third Degree - The Book Series

THE THIRD DEGREE

THE BOOK SERIES

Lately, it feels like most of the books I am reading are part of a series.  Is it the same way for you?  Every so often I come across a single title, but that seems to be happening less and less.

One thing that I love about books in a series is how the characters interplay from one book to the next.  Usually there are some characters who are present in every book, while others will come and go, and still others will be introduced along the way.  I like to see how they are all somehow related, either by family or by circumstance. 

Another thing that I love about books in a series is that each individual book is an opportunity for the plot to take a serious change in direction.  While maintaining some common themes, the separate books often have a plot that can stand alone.  I like the surprise of seeing just where each book will take the overall series plot.

Finally, I love when I get emotionally attached to the series itself.  My favorite series’ are the ones that have me clambering for the next book the second I finish the current book.  Oh, and when an awesome series ends, I feel sad and a little lost knowing that the story is over. 

One thing that I don’t like about books in a series is having to wait so long between books.  I realize that is just the way it is and it takes about a year to get the next book out, but oh my gosh sometimes it is so hard to wait – especially when the series is REALLY good. 

I have been a little lucky in this department in the past.  Since I am a newer reader of young adult books, sometimes I have been able to read an entire series (or at least the majority of it) back to back.  I read Harry Potter, Twilight (yes, I know), The Mediator, Blue Bloods, The Hunger Games, The Mortal Instruments and Maximum Ride this way.

Now, I am finding myself in a situation where I read the first book in 2010 and the second book is coming out in 2011.  I am prone to think that I should re-read the first book so the story and characters are fresh in my mind.  Is that what y’all do?  I feel like I need a do-over of the first book since it’s been so long.

Another thing that is sometimes frustrating about series books is that the first book can feel too much like a setup for the series as a whole.  It can feel too much like an information dump complete with lots of background and the setting of the stage.  I know we need some of that, but too much can be a drag. 

And you know what, sometimes I just want to read a book and be done with it.  I want to spend a day or two in the story and have everything resolved.  Maybe that is partly due to my age.  It seems like more middle grade books are single titles than part of a series.  They tell a story, entertain me, and then “The End.” 

Sometimes that’s all I am looking for.  The End.

Ditulis Oleh : admin // 6:05 AM
Kategori:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bloggers - Meet Millions of Bloggers