Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, May 9, 2011

7 Stories Day 5: Angie from Living Aloha!

Happy Monday friends!!

One of the things I love about blogging is that it brings people together who might not otherwise have been drawn to one another. 

The wonderful lady you’re about to hear from, Angie from Living Aloha, has become one of my very favorite blogging friends, even though we are different in many ways.

But don’t let her fool you.  She is beautiful and incredibly talented and truly an amazing writer.  Here is her story for us today…

* * * * *

Aloha! I'm Angie, from Living Aloha.

When Jenni asked me to guest post for her while she is away, initially, I was honored, but shortly thereafter, panic set in. Why? Because there is immense pressure as to what I can offer you - her friends and readers - who are more than likely drawn to Jenni's blog for her exquisite beauty, impeccable style and fashion sense as well as her Martha Stewart-esque qualities in the home and kitchen. And believe you me, these are NOT what I am about.

For one, I am far from girly-girl and totally inept when it comes to clothes. For me, shopping is intimidating and I tend to gravitate towards all things cotton, dark in color and apparently unflattering, including but not limited to: cotton gauchos, which my husband loathes and refers to as: "...clothing that makes you look like you just rolled out of bed and gave up on life". (True story. His words, not mine).

And two, I lack the interior design and Barefoot Contessa genes. That's not to say that we live in squalor or that I don't know my way around the kitchen; The Hubs and I, we just live a different and simpler lifestyle, free from all the bells and whistles that would bring us critical acclaim here on the blogosphere. But it works for us. So while our home has nothing on Pottery Barn or Ballard Designs, it's unassuming, (relatively) clutter-free, and very much "us".

So after much deliberation (and trepidation), I decided that I would simply offer Jenni and you lovely readers, the real me. I am sharing with you all, what I know best: a lesson in My Life, and what I Love.

My husband and I have been together for a very long time. Prior to meeting him, I led a sheltered, structured and very predictable life. When we became a couple, we often joked about his ability to bring "color" into my life; he was an outdoors-y person, whereas I preferred to be indoors with my nose buried in a book. He was drawn to high-adrenaline sports, while I opted to stick with what I felt comfortable with: running. He was all about Seizing the Day while I white-knuckled my way through life and preferred not to rock the boat. He was the Yin to my Yang.

And it's funny, that thing called "Love". It makes you do crazy things. My husband, patient, generous and encouraging, opened my eyes and my heart to a colorful side of life that I would not have been inclined to discover had it not been for him. I hate the cold like it's my job, but he brought me to Lake Tahoe and got me hooked on snowboarding:

Photobucket
 
Photobucket

When he bought a tournament ski-boat, he introduced me to the world of camping and the sport of wakeboarding. And a handful of years ago, when we planned a trip to the Bahamas, I pictured an all-inclusive trip through a resort, but we wound up booking one of twelve private villas that was only accessible by our own boat. And it was freaking awesome. AND, while there, he convinced me to sit on the back of a scooter with him - which I swore I would never do - while he zipped us around the island at rates of speed only boys would love (obviously, we survived. And my smile is totally fake):

Photobucket

And because videos are always good:

Now that we've planted new roots here on Maui, I have inevitably followed his lead; I've learned to surf, stand-up paddle and kite-surf. And while I wouldn't go so far as to consider myself good at any of these, I can hold my own. These are sports I never thought I'd ever try, let alone be interested in, but so much has changed. And I have my husband to thank for it. Staying active keeps you young in years, but more importantly, it keeps you young at heart.

So what am I getting at here? I suppose the gist of it all is this:

Try something new. Be open to experiences that challenge you to step outside your comfort-zone and GROW. Push yourself. Be tenacious. Relax. And trust your teacher, especially if you're lucky enough to have him be your husband.

Most of all? Carpe Diem, ladies. Life is too short. Have fun and Live Big.

* * * Jenni, thanks so much for having me here! xoxo!

* * * * *

Thank YOU Angie!!!

Now go check out her blog, lovahs.  This chick’s the real deal.

jennisig

Ditulis Oleh : admin // 4:30 AM
Kategori:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bloggers - Meet Millions of Bloggers