Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, July 16, 2010

Veterinary experience

vetsymbolgreenborder2 Well, the parental meeting thing came and went. I’m not necessarily a tremendous judge of these things, but by the end of the meal I had been informed as to the most effective way of killing myself, which is surely a good sign against some measure.

We went out for dinner in a former train station, which may not seem entirely glamorous, but it was a former train station of the Kaiser, so was somewhat more palatial than your usual train station. You can’t expect these folks to hang around on platforms and the like with the common folk after all. A large outdoor courtyard, which had presumably once been part of the platform area, was the seating venue, and the fare was largely traditionally German. I was advised against the currywurst (curried sausage, no less), despite it looking to be the largest sausage I had ever seen, and so went with the breaded fried pork and chips. Which was served, oddly, with jam. Still, it worked, so who am I to complain.

As Vera’s father is a vet, we were invited along to watch a procedure he was performing on a dog, which we did today. I guess this is another sign of acceptance. I rollerbladed along (managing to fall over quite spectacularly en route, no major damage done though) and we got to the practice in time to watch a wonderfully sedated dog get shaven and implanted with bits of gold, which help out with arthritis. There is something awfully comic about partially sedated animals, with their tongues lolling out and a general look of sad acceptance about the whole thing. Horses, I learnt, stay standing up when sedated. I am delighted to be able to share this knowledge with you.

Tomorrow we are off to a wedding, which will naturally all be in German. It’s all about the new experiences. I got a quick overview of the German wedding process, which sounded somewhat similar to the English wedding process. There will be a church, some food, speeches, and a party. I’ll let you know how it all goes. If you’re lucky, there will be reports of dancing.

Today, incidentally, is my brothers birthday - many happy returns to him. No doubt some beers will be quenched. I would advise staying away from any large platters of food if possible. He celebrates being nearly thirty in fine style from what I can tell, by retiring and moving to a tropical paradise. Not bad going. My parents, I am sure, are delighted to have two sons who now have a primary goal in life of doing as little as possible. Pity it took all that education to get us to this point really…

On an entirely separate note, I have uploaded a few more photos from my Australia trip to my Photobox gallery, which can be found at the link below, should that sort of thing interest you. They look particularly nice on canvas I believe.

http://www.photoboxgallery.com/Laurence

Finally, I feel it is my duty to rectify a common misunderstanding with regards to dreadlocks, as I’ve now been asked the question multiple times. Yes folks, I do wash my hair. More information on the whole dreadlock thing can be found in previous posts, here and here, but in summary, dreadlocks do need to be washed. There is a common belief that dreads are formed by just abandoning your hair, and this can work, depending on your hair type of course, but the risk is that you just end up with one gigantic matted pile of fairly grubby hair.

Decent looking well maintained dreads, which are basically just better managed tangles of hair, no more no less, should be washed every couple of weeks (and at least once a month), with a residue free shampoo (something organic is probably best). Avoid conditioner, as it tends to work to detangle the hair, which would go against the whole principle. Dreads need to be washed because the oil that the scalp naturally secretes works to detangle them, and you don’t want that to happen. So that’s a dreadlocking myth hopefully, ahem, unravelled. Keep smiling.

Ditulis Oleh : admin // 6:58 AM
Kategori:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bloggers - Meet Millions of Bloggers