Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, July 23, 2011

One Hundred Candles - Book Review

Title ~ One Hundred Candles
Series ~ Past Midnight #2
Author ~ Mara Purnhagen
Release Date ~ February 15, 2011
Age Group ~ Young Adult
Publisher ~ Harlequin Teen
Source ~ Harlequin Teen









GOODREADS SUMMARY

It's taken a long time for me to feel like a normal teenager. But now that I'm settled in a new school, where people know me as more than Charlotte Silver of the infamous Silver family paranormal investigators, it feels like everything is falling into place. And what better way to be normal than to go on a date with a popular football star like Harris Abbott? After all, it's not as if Noah is anything more than a friend….

But my new life takes a disturbing turn when Harris brings me to a party and we play a game called One Hundred Candles. It seems like harmless, ghostly fun. Until spirits unleashed by the game start showing up at school. Now my friends and family are in very real danger, and the door that I've opened into another realm may yield deadly consequences.

REVIEW

The ghosts are back, and even spookier than last time. Starting with a game of One Hundred Candles (a game where you tell one hundred ghost stories, one per candle), spirits are haunting Charlotte’s school. That’s not all. An evil energy, maybe a demon, is insisting that Charlotte has “pushed the curtain back too far,” and is out to set things right. Boo!

Mara Purnhagen has great ghost sense! She made the maybe demon creepy and destructive, and it lived up to the picture I had in my mind. The ghosts haunting Charlotte’s school were more amusing to me. The pranks they pulled, and how they resembled the One Hundred Candles stories, were both creepy and entertaining. My favorite prank was when they opened all the freshmen lockers.

This second book in the series has some romance. Charlotte seems to have fallen for Harris, the football jock who kisses her on New Year’s Eve. Then there is Noah. Charlotte is not sure whether to check the friend or more box on that one. I personally like Noah better. He was so sweet and supportive to Charlotte. When Noah got obviously jealous of Harris, I liked him even more. It was just so cute.

There is tension in the Silver household. Charlotte’s parents are drifting further and further apart, torn by their beliefs about what happened to Charlotte last fall. I thought it was so sad that they could not simply agree to disagree.

A stunning tragedy strikes at the end of the book and offers a lead-in to the next book, Beyond the Grave. It can’t get here fast enough.

RATING

4 Liked

COVER COMMENTS

White candles and a white smoky haze make for an eerie cover. I think Charlotte looks a little worried in the background. I like that the title is sort of blurred by the smoke.

Ditulis Oleh : admin // 6:30 AM
Kategori:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bloggers - Meet Millions of Bloggers